mex file linking

From: Matyas Sustik
Subject: mex file linking
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:36:16 -0600

Hi All,

I am linking a mex file (for octave) with:

g++ $^ -o $@ -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic $(OCTAVE_LIBS) -loctave -lcruft
-llapackgf-3 -lblas-3gf -lfftw3 -lfftw3f -lreadline -lncurses -ldl
-lhdf5 -lz -lm -lgfortranbegin -lgfortran -lasm -L.
(OCTAVE_LIBS = $(shell mkoctfile -p LFLAGS)

(I am not sure whether all the libraries are needed, but mkoctfile -v had them.)

I definitely need blas and lapack in my code.  However, if I link
without them I still get working code!!  How is that possible??  Does
octave provide the blas and lapack functions by default?

Thanks!
-Matyas