Re: Fw: Re: msys from octave

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: msys from octave
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:27:10 -0800 (PST)

nitnit wrote

> Matt Flax wrote
>>
>> Yes - thanks for the suggestion - I tried this previously ... this is
>> the result :
>>
>> $ pi.sh
>>
>> This is a post install process that will try to normalize between
>> your MinGW install if any as well as your previous MSYS installs
>> if any.  I don't have any traps as aborts will not hurt anything.
>> Do you wish to continue with the post install? [yn ] y
>> mkdir: cannot create directory `/home': No such file or directory
>> cp: cannot create regular file `/home/_/.inputrc': No such file or
>> directory
>> /etc/profile: line 59: cd: /home/_: Not a directory
>>

> I am not sure that the msys+mingw subdirs included with the octave 7z
> archive are properly set and configured for full msys functionality. I
> have constructed these subdirs from Tatsuros archives, and adjusted the
> environment to support basic mkoctfile functionality from within octave.
>
> I suggest that if you wish to use wider functionality, you will install
> and properly configure msys and mingw on your system, and adjust the env.
> vars which are set by ocraverc to use your installed msys and mingw
> instead of these provided by the 7z archive.

For a basic msys start:

In the msys directory,
- add a directory ./home
- add a directory ./home/<your name>
- in ./etc, adapt fstab to your local setup.

BTW you can also put your home directory outside the msys subdir tree. A
fine example is the entry for Tatsuro's home dir in the, well, original
fstab in the .7z octave-3.4.3 file.

That should at least improve your msys experience.

Specific msys environment vars (the ones you don't need in Windows) can be
set in a .profile file in the home directory using the usual entries like in
linux.

Philip