Re: error: feval: function `unimplemented' not found

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: error: feval: function `unimplemented' not found
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:34:45 -0500

On Jan 12, 2012, at 5:07 AM, Mikey G wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've tried many times to upgrade to 3.4 and still have not completely
> succeeded.  I've managed to install, but I can't get even a simple plot to
> work, such as:
>
> octave:7> x=[1:10]
> x =
>
>    1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9   10
>
> octave:8> y=x.^2
> y =
>
>     1     4     9    16    25    36    49    64    81   100
>
> octave:9> plot(x,y)
> error: feval: function `unimplemented' not found
>
> I hope there is a simple fix.  I believe I've done my due diligence in
> searching for a solution on my own with no luck, so I ask you guys.  I would
> appreciate any help.  I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, downloaded the stable
> 3.4.3 tarball from gnu.org, configure went well after installing
> dependencies (except cURL, and I configured with --without-curl), make check
> passed all tests, then I tested the simple plot above.  If you need any
> other info let me know.
>
> Also, just to give you an idea of my skill level, I've been using Linux for
> almost a year now, so definitely still green, but somewhat capable...  ;)
>
> Thanks!
> Mike

"unemplemented" is a rather new function.

My guess is your Octave's path is still using something left over from the past.

Did you uninstall the older version of Octave, before installing the new one ?

If you have installed an earlier version of Octave via apt-get, Synaptic, etc,
you should first uninstall that version first.

If that's not a  problem, your Octave's path may be pointing to an older
versions m-files in your ~/.octaverc file. You can either edit that or just
delete it (if there is nothing there you'd like to keep).

Ben