Re: Questions/Issues trying to cross-compile Octave

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: Re: Questions/Issues trying to cross-compile Octave
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:00:34 -0800

All,

I have figured out what --host is for and what value to set it to.  Now, I am stuck with errors like

checking whether fstatat (..., 0) works... configure: error: in `/home/corbin/applications/

octave-3.4.3':
configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling

I understand why that would be, since it cannot run the test code on the arm system and see whether it works.

So, what is the correct work-around?  I assume I need to tell it explicitly whether this works or not, but how?  I hope I can still use ./configure as opposed to doing it manually, since it looks like ./configure is doing quite a bit before this error.

If I look at ./configure, this is just the tip of the iceberg and there are several issues when cross-compiling.  But, reading through old threads, I see people have succeeded.  So, maybe a more general question is, what is the correct approach to cross compiling octave?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Also, if this question is outside of the scope of this mailing list, please tell me where to send questions of this nature.

Thanks,
Corbin

I am using linux x86 machine and attempting to cross-compile for an arm architecture.  I have a toolchain setup for doing such, that I have tested with some more basic examples, meaning I can cross-compile simple code examples and get them running on the arm based device.  Now, I am trying to get Octave to build.  My first questions/issues come when doing ./configure

1) I first found that I was required to provide --host.  I just used --host=arm.  How is the --host used?

2) Next when running ./configure --host=arm I got this error: