problems with packages on two separate Macs

From: AdHoff
Subject: problems with packages on two separate Macs
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:59:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone, first off, let me just say that I've never taken a computer
programming class or anything similar so I may not be too knowledgeable
about some of the technical details of what I describe.

I have two Macs, one running 10.5.8 (Leopard) and the other running 10.6.8.
(Snow Leopard). I was successfully able to install - on both - Octave
(3.4.0) and QtOctave. Both run fine. I am having some difficulty installing
some of my desired packages, however. I have tried 7 or 8 packages (that
appear to have no dependencies) and only 1 will install on either Mac:
geometry-1.2.2. All the others give me a similar error message. Here is an
example:

octave-3.4.0:3> pkg install struct-1.0.9.tar
sh: make: command not found
'make' returned the following error:
error: called from `pkg>configure_make' in file
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.4.0/m/pkg/pkg.m
near line 1337, column 9
error: called from:
error:
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.4.0/m/pkg/pkg.m
at line 783, column 5
error:
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.4.0/m/pkg/pkg.m
at line 354, column 9

At first I wondered whether it was because the package was not .tar.gz (the
file name automatically switched when my download completed). I used gzip to
turn the file back into a .gz format...but that didn't help. Although I
found it odd that geometry installed and loaded correctly.

This is the same error that i have been getting on other packages, as well
(miscellaneous, control, etc.).

I'm not familiar with Unix or shells and so maybe this is something obvious
but it's been a problem on both of my Macs. I'd love to be able to ditch the
cost of Matlab so I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

- Adam