Re: Who uses Octave?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Who uses Octave?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:47:54 -0500

On 7 February 2012 12:29, Julien Salort <address@hidden> wrote:
> "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think we all understand that the GPL clearly forbids distributing the
>> resulting binaries.
>
> I think  I understood this. I  still wondered if I  could distribute the
> source code and Makefile.

If you've already written the code, might as well distribute it. It's
sad that it's tied to a non-free driver, but the code by itself is ok
to distribute.

>> If your intent is to attempt to avoid the terms of the GPL simply by
>> releasing a thin wrapper between Octave and a proprietary library,
>
> I  personnaly   don't  attempt  anything.   I  don't   plan  on  selling
> anything.

Selling isn't a problem. Non-free drivers are.

> I don't have  the knowledge nor the time  to reverse-engineer their card
> and write my own driver. End of story.

Please don't look at it that way.

The problem isn't your code. The problem is that there is a non-free
driver. Sadly, you used it without demanding a free one. I don't even
understand why National Instruments won't provide one. It's
undesirable to promote the usage of a non-free driver by distributing
code that uses it, but if you've already written the code, it's
probably a bit worse to not distribute that code.

- Jordi G. H.