Re: Find the Max Value in a Vector

From: Joanna Cheng
Subject: Re: Find the Max Value in a Vector
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 07:46:00 +1100

On Wednesday, February 08, 2012 07:45:42 am Michael Davidson wrote:
> Thank you for the help.  I apologize for the sassy question, but Octave
> problems were the straw that broke the camel's back on a bad day.  It
> appears that this was a PEBCAK.

No worries Michael, glad you got your problem resolved :)

<address@hidden>wrote:

> > octave-3.2.4.exe:24> x=rand(20,1)
> > x =
> >
> >    0.570176
> >    0.908796
> >    0.815253
> >    0.437041
> >    0.244348
> >    0.840917
> >    0.212318
> >    0.019978
> >    0.042693
> >    0.551441
> >    0.607535
> >    0.701187
> >    0.235667
> >    0.456407
> >    0.046169
> >    0.366124
> >    0.199947
> >    0.174513
> >    0.299213
> >    0.532349
> >
> > octave-3.2.4.exe:25> max(x)
> > ans =  0.90880
> >The values in your vector are printed using six decimal places.  Your Octave
is set to display only five in its answers, the default.  0.908796, the second
entry above, rounds to 0.90880.  Display one more place and you ought to see
the two as the same.

Thanks for pointing that out Maynard, I hadn't acually noticed! I wonder if this is a bug.