Re: xlim gives memory exhausted error when used after plotting (v3.4.3 M

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: xlim gives memory exhausted error when used after plotting (v3.4.3 MinGW Windows)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:41:44 -0500

On 9 February 2012 07:43, Bernhard Weller <address@hidden> wrote:
> I encounter a problem, which I didn't using 3.4.2 MinGW.
>
> It's a bit strange as I was not able to recreate the problem using a simple
> example, but only with my measured values.
>
> The m-file as well as the data is available from my website (don't know how
> big a file attachment is allowed to be):
> http://arsenal-of-wisdom.org/downloads/xlimerror.zip (~40 kB)
>
> My code is pretty straightforward (after narrowing it down):
> clear; close all;
> load xlimerror.mat
> figure(1); clf;
> hold on
> semilogx(EstF, 20*log10(EstMag), 'b-')
> xlim([minF maxF])
>
> The error is related to the xlim([minF maxF]) line and says:
> error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's
> index type -- trying to return to prompt
>
> So something inside xlim goes wrong - my data is only a tiny 2623x1 for x
> and y. And a total of 42kB used memory.
>
> I noticed that if I place the xlim line before the plot command I don't get
> an error message.
> Is it required to put xlim before the plot commands?

This is probably related to a number of log plotting bugs we have. I
think they've been fixed in 3.6.1. We'll probably be releasing 3.6.1.
soon. The release-candidate is currently making the rounds.

Indeed, I just confirmed that your problem exists in a development
build I have prior to these patches but it doesn't happen after them.

- Jordi G. H.