Re: control pkg

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: control pkg
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:58:48 +0000

On 13 February 2012 14:52, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/2/13 Carnë Draug <address@hidden>

>> > So the help is:
>> > address@hidden/c2d' is a function from the file
>> > /home/doug/octave/control-2.2.4/@lti/c2d.m
>> >
>> >  -- Function File: SYS = c2d (SYS, TSAM)
>> >  -- Function File: SYS = c2d (SYS, TSAM, METHOD)
>> >  -- Function File: SYS = c2d (SYS, TSAM, "PREWARP", W0)
>> >      Convert the continuous lti model into its discrete-time equivalent.
>> > is this wrong?
>> > Doug
>>
>> No. This is correct. You call the function normally. But since the
>> first argument will be an object of the lti class, octave knows where
>> to look for the function/method. But when trying to access the help
>> text, octave does not know which c2d you're talking about so you must
>> specify the class. This allows for different classes to have methods
>> with the same name.
>>
>> Carnë
>

> How hard would it be to fix help so that it would work normaly for these
> functions?

Fix? I don't think there's anything to fix.

Imagine the situation where 2 classes have the same method. Which one
would help show? Such situation is not uncommon at all, specially with
display methods and overloading arithmetic operations. Just see on the
linear-algebra package the methods for the blksparse and kronprod
classes.

http://octave.sourceforge.net/linear-algebra/overview.html

Carnë