Re: problem plotting "N-d object"

From: James Sherman Jr.
Subject: Re: problem plotting "N-d object"
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:13:12 -0500

Because of my math background I find it senseless to say that a 3-d cube projection onto a 2-d plane is still 3-d - it is just 2-d, and, likewise, that 2-d cube image of a cube on a plane being projected onto a 1-d straight line would be just 1-d.

This isn't even a solid mathematical reason.  The image of a cube on a 2-d plane in R^3 is different than the image of a cube in R^2.  Or, in otherwords, the matrix transformations defined by the matrices A = [1 0 0;0 1 0;0 0 0] and A = [1 0 0;0 1 0] are different transformations (they have different codomains for one).

But, I'd agree that for something like the plot function, it would make sense to apply squeeze ahead of time (I certainly can't think of any case where it'd make sense to not do squeeze), and for many projects, I have actually written a small wrapper around plot that does exactly that (and some otherstuff).

But like Ben mentioned, its hard to anticipate where this may not prove useful, and probably would be best on a case-by-case basis to do something like this.

Thats my 2 cents.

James Sherman