Re: plotting time series in Octave

From: indium
Subject: Re: plotting time series in Octave
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:31:43 +0000

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:46:27PM -0400, financial engineer wrote:

> > octave> pkg -forge install financial
>
> thanks Indium,
> tried it....this is the error I get.
>
> octave-3.2.4:1> pkg -forge install financial
> warning: file -forge does not exist
> warning: file financial does not exist
>
> I think I should upgrade to the new octave version 3.6, but
> unfortunately don't have the instructions to build/install it on ubuntu
> 10.04....hopefully someone on the team can guide me on that.....Bobby

Hi Bobby,

you can do without the -forge option: this just gets the package automatically
from the internet. Instead, just get it from http://octave.sf.net (the
financial package) and start octave from the command line from the directory
where you have saved the downloaded package. From the 'octave>' prompt you can
do:
pkg install "./financial-0.3.2.tar.gz"

hope this works.

Otherwise to install the 3.6 version of octave, just download the .tar.gz file,
uncompress it and install it in your home directory.

mkdir ~/src
cd ~/src
mv ~/Downloads/octave.XXXXXXX.tar.gz .
tar xvzf octave.XXXXXX.tar.gz
./configure --prefix=$HOME
(if it complains about (critical) missing libraries, use synaptic package
manager to search for the libraries/header files and install them or google).
make
make install

BE AWARE: this installation can easily take an hour to finish...

This will install your own octave executable, beside the standard ubuntu
version. If you want to --always-use-- your own version, add this to your
$HOME/.bash_profile or $HOME/.bashrc:

export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

HTH, indium