Re: Re: Modify machine precision

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Re: Modify machine precision
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:09:12 -0400

2012/3/29 alberto frigerio <address@hidden>:
> So you are telling me that in Octave there is no way to force machine
> precision in a program? My problem is that I'm doing some analyses with
> another precision whose machine precision is 1e-13

Listen to what you just said. Programs have different *machine*
precision? The *machine* precision isn't determined by software, but
it's a property of your hardware, of your *machine*. Your computer has
an FPU, and this FPU has certain limitations:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating-point_unit

If you need variable precision arithmetic, you can try to use vpa from
the symbolic package, but depending on what you're doing, I would
follow Martin Helm's recommendation and use a program other than
Octave.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.