Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 11:34:15 +0100

On 23 March 2012 13:26, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 23-Mar-2012, Carnë Draug wrote:
> | I can't find the option to specify the path for the GraphicsMagick
> | library when compiling octave. I've looked at ./configure --help but
> | there is only the --with-magick option which only lets me choose
> | between GraphicsMagick and ImageMagick but not define the directory
> | for the library. I have tried (guessing) --with-magick-libdir and
> | --with-magick-includedir but no success.
>
> Use CPPFLAGS=-I/some/dir to add the directory where the header files
> are found and LDFLAGS=-L/some/dir to add the directory where the
> library is found.

I tried this but it's still not working. I thought it was a problem
with GraphicsMagick but after talking to their devs it looks like the
problem is still with building Octave.

Even by setting those flags, after compiling Octave (3.6.1 by the way)
checking octave_config_info I noticed that it was still using the
system /usr/include/GraphicsMagick. This was despite that configure
was using the "right" GraphicsMagick for the tests. However, looking
into the Makefile being generated I noticed this MAGICK_CPPFLAGS =
-I/usr/include/GraphicsMagick. I manually edited the Makefile
MAGICK_CPPFLAGS and MAGICK_LDFLAGS and that seemed to work. However,
the octave_config_info is still mentioning MAGICK_CPPFLAGS =
-I/usr/include/GraphicsMagick, not the ones I changed.

I no longer get the warning about being limited to 8bit images (so
it's using the right GraphicsMagick) but I get the following error

error: imread: invalid image file: Magick++ exception: Magick: No
decode delegate for this image format () reported by
magick/constitute.c:8279 (ReadImage)

But GraphicsMagick does open the images no problem (I've tried it
outside octave with "gm display").

Does anyone has any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Carnë