Re: x11 launching on startup

From: Arlo Breault
Subject: Re: x11 launching on startup
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 16:32:49 -0700

Ok, but does it need to launch x11 at startup? Or can it wait till I actually try to plot something? Thanks.

On Tuesday, 3 April, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Apr 3, 2012, at 5:59 PM, Arlo Breault <address@hidden> wrote:

For a reason unknown to me, x11 launches every time I start octave. If I recall correctly, it used to only do that on demand, when plotting. I'm on OS X running GNU Octave, version 3.6.1, installed w/ homebrew.

Octave requires linking to a window management system in order to determine the size if the display. On MacOS, either X11 or Carbon will work. It appears the homebrew maintainer choose to link against X11.

Ben