Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:48:18 -0400

On 20 April 2012 08:23, mesuron <address@hidden> wrote:
> Please try it yourself and you will see what I mean.

I don't have Ubuntu nor the inclination at presetn to install it to
see what you're talking about. I use Debian, and I believe Ubuntu uses
the Debian Octave packages without modification, so I

I need a precise description of what you're typing, what you're
seeing, and why you think you need admin privileges. When you do "pkg
forge -install control" inside Octave what are you seeing? You should
not need admin privileges to do this.

> And why I need to install packages in Home directory if I need them
> in active Octave directory as it arranged in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I don't know what an active directory is. If you install packages in
your home directory using the pkg command, Octave will find these
packages

> And another question. Why Octave has to install F-pkgs differently
> in different releases of Ubuntu?

It doesn't. Each should be the same always. I don't understand what
problem you're facing.

There is nobody in Ubuntu creating or maintaining Octave packages. The
packagers are in Debian, and a couple of years ago the packager doing
most of the work, Rafael Laboissiere, retired. He recently temporarily
came out of retirement and through laudable effort, combined with
Thomas Weber and Sébastian Villemot, have finally updated the
Octave-Forge packages. But you can still use the old Octave packages
as packaged for Debian and which Ubuntu took.

> Would be nice if you show me how to install package directly from
> Octave terminal in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 10.10 for example so loading
> it will not end up with message  “package is not installed”

Where are you seeing this message? I don't believe Octave produces
such a message.

I don't understand what problems you're facing, so you need to give me
a very precise and thorough description.

- Jordi G. H.