Excel Data in Octave

From: Timothy Field
Subject: Excel Data in Octave
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I'm new to Octave (one week) and I would like to use data from Excel
spreadsheets in Octave.

I have spent hours researching what I need in order to that and have ended
up with many dead ends.

I am running Snow Leopard, have X11 and have Octave 3.4.0 installed. I have
looked into setting up the io package, for functions like 'xlsread' and
'csvread', but to no avail.

What do I need in order to install packages on an OSX 10.6.8 macbook pro?

I downloaded the package (io-1.0.18) and it was saved in the Downloads
folder. I added addpath ('/Users/user/Downloads') but 'pkg install -verbose
io-1.0.18.tar.gz' did not work. I got 'warning: file io-1.0.18.tar.gz does
not exist'. I know I'm in the right path, and I've tried the recommended
install commands. I've been sent all over the forum and online for fixes to
problems that are roughly similar, but none have worked out or really
applied.

So, how would I install the io package?

But more importantly, whats the best way to take excel data and use it in
octave?