CSVs, .DATs

From: monkeyboy
Subject: CSVs, .DATs
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 04:03:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I'm very new to Octave and open source unix stuff so please excuse my
ignorance. I've been struggling with a problem for a while now.

I'm working on a thesis experiment in which I wish to plot a 3d
representation of 4 streams of 20,000+ data points with each of the four
points along the z-axis.

The data comes from a Campbell Scientific CR800 datalogger. The data files
from the logger include a timestamp, record number and then a column for
each of 18 sensors. I need to perform calculations on 8 pairs of the sensor
data. I will also have to discard some of the data (probably just from the
beginning)

Having not known about Octave, gnuplot and 3d plotting at the outset I have
committed (apparently) the crime of using Excel to analyse and organise
data.

I'm running an Intel Macbook pro with OS 10.6.8 and Octave 3.4 with the
Gnuplot that came with it.

My problem is, as you've probably guessed, that I can't get Octave or
Gnuplot to read the data from excel no matter which way I try to delimit it.
I've tried with very simple test files a number of ways and get a variety of
results none of which are accurate.

I have just tried CSVREADing the data direct from the datalogger and it does
at least read it but it reads all the text headers as zeros and does the
same crucially with the timestamp.

The .dats produced by the datalogger are comma seperated.

I have read a couple of threads which have helped up to a point but I'm
stuck now.

Can anyone offer any help in a language I may be able to understand.

Thanks in Advance.

Gervase