Re: Stupid question

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Stupid question
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:04:50 -0400

Moving this discussion to the maintainers' list...

Jim Curry wrote:
> I know how to write very C code, and I want to contribute some
> matrix functions. I can write decently in C++, too, but C++ is not a
> great language. It is better to stay as close to core C as possible.
> Usually, it is entirely possible.

It's not possible for Octave. If you want to use the Octave API, it's
in C++, so a C compiler won't compile anything that uses "#include
<some_octave_header.h>". It's possible to completely forego the C++
API and write C functions compiled with a C compiler and link them as
external code, but if you want to contribute code to Octave, it's
unlikely to be accepted like this. Most C code is also not acceptable
for Octave (e.g. we eschew C-style cast).

As to whether C++ is better than C, this is subjective and not a
useful topic of discussion. I get frustrated with both languages with
equal regularity when I have to use them both. They are both terrible
in different ways. It's best to accept this and move on.

Phillip has already given you other suggestions for getting involved.
If you want to continue this discussion, I recommend you subscribe to
the maintainers' list. Also, there is this FAQ entry:

http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#How_can_I_get_involved_in_Octave_development.3F

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.