Re: Problem with working on .m files

From: Luke M
Subject: Re: Problem with working on .m files
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 10:39:13 -0700 (PDT)

Mateo Martinez wrote

> Hi,
>
> I am having difficulty completing some assignments that were given to me
> as '.m' files. I am not able to edit them, and I am not sure if it is
> because I am not using the correct load or call to the function. I am not
> very experienced with programming, but I am trying to learn Octave to work
> with Matrices. I would really appreciate your help with this.
>
> Thanks!

Let's take a step back: do you have Octave installed?  Assuming you are on
Windows, head to this Octave wiki page:

http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_Windows

There are also instructions on there for sort-of-integrating Notepad++ if
you'd like.  I would recommend installing Notepad++ anyway, even if you
don't follow those directions.  All the instructions do is make it possible
to type "edit <filename>.m" at the Octave prompt.  Most Windows users are
accustomed to opening up Windows Explorer and double-clicking on
<filename>.m, which is a bit slower but works just fine.

As for actually using Octave, I just realized that there are no Getting
Started wiki pages or anything similar.  Maybe search for "octave tutorial"
or something similar.