Re: Optimising the Keen-Minsky Model

From: richard
Subject: Re: Optimising the Keen-Minsky Model
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 13:19:47 +0100

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 06:28:05PM +0200, c. wrote:

> Here is a modified version of your code, I could get a ~ x2 speed up by
> refactoring and partial vectorization
> plus a further ~ x2 speedup by running in parallel with parcellfun (I only
> have 2 cores, if you have more that could be better for you).

It will take me some time to get my head around this: I'll learn something from
your
code and the speed up will certainly help if I attempt to model the Romans (~
50BC -> 450AD)

> >> clear all, close all, tic, KeenMinsky02_refactored, toc
> Anyway it looks like you are solving an ODE system, maybe you should look at
> LSODE
>
> HTH,
> c.
I see a lot to think about. Another objective is to help think about tools to
work on
non-linear time varying systems modelled as Y=AX + BU
hence in the long run your coding methods may be even more beneficial than the
speedup. I'll follow up after I've run the model a few times.

> P.S. I noticed the 12th row of X is filled but never used ... maybe that is a
> bug?

I have a later version that includes depreciation and an interaction between
wages and prices, hence X12 is used for that, plus a needed new, time-varying
timelag.
Trying to change things and at the same time keep the system, and results the
same
is challenging :-)

A Thousand Thanks !

Richard A Lough