pkg install and distribution problems

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: pkg install and distribution problems
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 12:29:35 -0400

On 28 May 2012 12:01, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:11:36AM -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

>> You should not be using pkg install to install OF packages in
>> Debian. They are already packaged for Debian with apt. So e.g.
>> instead of doing "pkg install signal" from Octave, you should do
>> "aptitude install octave-signal" from bash.
>>
>> In fact, I wish we could stop telling people to use pkg install,
>> because it's a very brittle way of getting packages to people.
>
> advocating the use of packaged (Debian) Octave Forge packages is one
> thing, but explicitely discouraging 'pkg install' is another. In
> some cases the latter could actually mean 'please stick with a buggy
> package or a package lacking important features'.

It depends if those bugs are important or not for the person using the
package. Typically, for a Debian user, they are not. If Debian users
wanted to be running the latest of everything and compiling everything
from source, they wouldn't be using Debian, but a source-based
distribution like Gentoo.

And yes, bugs you know are better than new bugs you don't. Development
and distribution needs to take pauses to document and fix bugs. I
don't think always being on the cutting edge and compiling from source
is for everyone. I think it's for very few people. In other cases,
stick to the packaged versions. Only do source compilation if you know
that the packaged version won't work for you.

pkg install is brittle. It requires having a system setup in a very
specific way. It does not work for most people. When it fails, it
produces error messages ordinary users rarely understand. We should be
recommending it as a last resort and as seldom as possible. It's
really a developer tool.

I know it gets compared to package manager for other languages like
Perl and Python, but in those it's a bit easier since they usually
only distribute Perl or Python code respectively. Here we almost
always have to deal with C++ code which can't be distributed as
quickly as purely scripting code, because compiling things correctly
is far more difficult than and intricate than only using interpreted
languages.

> Octave Forge packages are generally in a quite flowing state, there
> is no 'stable branch'

This is a distribution problem. We need to fix OF, and if a *release*
is made, it should be a reasonably stable release.

Otherwise, we should get rid of releases and just tell everyone to use
the latest svn tip for everything. I think this is a little worse than
the current things we're doing.

> and I doubt that Debians scheme to stick with some stable version is
> thouroughly applicable here,

It's applicable everywhere. All software has the same distribution
problems that Octave has. We're not special.

> And I don't think using the 'pkg install' way is that difficult.

Then you will have to explain to ordinary users how to compile and all
the ways in which compiling can fail and where things will be
installed after it's compiled and why it's broken. It may not be
difficult for you, but it's difficult for everyone else.

Many Octave users are Matlab refugees. Matlab doesn't make them
compile to obtain packages, so they're a little confused when Octave
does.

> While pre-packaging may help many people, persons with serious
> interest in some packages functionality should not be discouraged to
> use the native Octave way.

They should be discouraged unless they like compiling and can figure
out compiler errors when they happen. They should be discouraged if
they don't already know that they need the latest version for whatever
reason.

Packaged versions are fine for most people. Not for you or I, but for
almost everyone else, packaged versions are fine.

> Please don't take this as an insult or as disrespect of Debians
> packaging work. But I'm a bit disquiet since I think things are
> going to far here.

OF has a distribution problem. pkg install is not the solution, or at
least not the whole solution.

I think the solution is to bring OF closer to Octave and other related
things. Discussion towards this solution is underway.

- Jordi G. H.