Re: simple advice needed on input and output

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: simple advice needed on input and output
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:24:36 -0400

On 27 July 2012 15:52, vilsu <address@hidden> wrote:
> I made a automatic system for making these matrix combinations:
>
> A * U * r * U * r
> A * U * r * U * s
> A * U * r * U * l
> .
> .
> .
>

> It goes like this:
>
> I use this script:
>
> echo off all
> v1 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],1,78125).'(:)
> v2 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],5,15625).'(:)
> v3 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],25,3125).'(:)
> v4 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],125,625).'(:)
> v5 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],625,125).'(:)
> v6 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],3125,25).'(:)
> v7 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],15625,5).'(:)
> v8 = repmat([1;2;3;9;0],1,78125)(:)
> [v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, v6, v7, v8]
> save output.txt ans
>

> This creates all possible  8 character long combinations of 1, 2, 3, 9 and
> 0.
> Then using Notepad++ I put an * -mark in between characters. Then again
> using Notepad++ I change every 1 to A, every 2 to B, ...

This sounds a little like:

    http://xkcd.com/763/

Are you able to provide a description of your problem before you
arrived at the situation where reading a long list of matrix
multiplications was the right solution?

> 2. I dont understand how this script works! What are the : for? And ' ?

Read

    help :
    help ("'")

> 3.While calculating, Octave used about 1/3 of CPU and GUIOctave used 2/3 of
> CPU. What are the real benefits of a GUI when it hogs most of the resources?

We don't endorse using GUI Octave for reasons like this, and because
it's not free.

> 4. Any suggestions for improvement?

I would personally would like to know your full problem. It sounds
like premature closure or an X-Y problem. You want to do X and you
have decided that Y is the right way to do it. Now you want us to help
you do Y, but Y looks like a very awkward task. You've prematurely
closed your problem on Y, when there may be a better way to do X
without doing Y at all.

What is your X problem?

- Jordi G. H.