contourf my data returns error message

From: Paulo Santiago
Subject: contourf my data returns error message
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:21:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Octave Users,

I'm a unexperienced Octave user and I'm unsuccessfully struggling to plot
filled contours of my data.

I have a 205x36x3 matrix which I would like to plot some filled contours by
fixing the third index.

I'm able to make simple contour plots with the following command:
contour(thrs,p,t(:,:,3),20);

However, when I try to plot filled contours,
contourf(thrs,p,t(:,:,3),20);

Instead of an image, I get the error messages below:
error: gnuplot (as of v4.2) only supports 3D filled triangular patches
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/__go_draw_axes__.m at line 567,
column 6
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/__go_draw_figure__.m at line 92,
column 3
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m at line 99, column
5
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/print.m at line 707, column 7
error:   ./conv_properties.m at line 135, column 1

I tested filled contours with “contourf(peaks)” and the “contourf” command
seems to be working properly, even when I put some NaN values in sample
“peaks” data, to make it nearer from my case.

I googled the first line of error message and I found a suggestion to use
"imagesc" command instead of "contourf", but it didn't work.

I'm using Octave 3.2.4 (from Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 repos).

I can't figure out what's going wrong. Could someone help me with this
issue, please?