Re: Interpreted octave code and GPL

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Interpreted octave code and GPL
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:22:13 +0100

On 19/08/2012 17:15, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 19 August 2012 17:04, Richard Crozier<address@hidden>  wrote:
If someone write some code in Octave, and it calls a core Octave function
implemented as an m-file, does this mean my code must now be covered by the
GPL as it is a derivative work?

How does the GPL work with interpreted code? It states on the Octave website
(I think) that you can produce code under any licence you like, but does
this depend on what functions you call from core Octave? If not, why not?
I think the difference is not on what functions your code calls. See
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#If_I_write_code_using_Octave_do_I_have_to_release_it_under_the_GPL.3F

Carnë

Ok, but lets put it another way, lets say I write an function in interpreted code and release it under the GPL. Can this then be taken by others and used in a non-free program?

If not, then why can I call the Octave core m-files in a non-free program, which is what is implied by the wiki? Surely they're exactly the same, but just have a different origin.

I've been trying to get my head around this for a while now.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.