Re: octave function name resolution (how conflict is handled)

From: Max Brister
Subject: Re: octave function name resolution (how conflict is handled)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 02:27:16 -0600

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
>> Only of the persistent problems in Octave (and matlab) is that there
>> isn't any good way of dealing with name conflicts. You can use the
>
> Thanks! That is what I think about all the shell PATH like name
> resolution rules.
>
> However, practically, there must be cases where two toolboxes use the
> same file/function name, in which case, something has to be done
> besides renaming. (BTW, does matlab or octave native toolboxs have any
> name conflicts?)

I don't think there are any conflicts in the matlab toolboxes provided
by TMW [1]. I'm not sure about Octave's packages.

> Do you have some examples (i.e., with some working
> code) on how this is solved given the limitations of the current name
> resolution rule? Thanks!

Currently, the best solution in Octave is to rename one of the
functions. There is currently some effort to support packages in
Octave [2], but as I understand it packages are not used very much
even in matlab.

[1] http://www.mathworks.com/support/functions/alpha_list.html?sec=1
[2] http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_oop/brfynt_-1.html

--