Re: GNU Octave 3.6.3 Released

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 3.6.3 Released
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:13:39 -0400

On 5 September 2012 15:52, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 9/5/12, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On 5 September 2012 15:26, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>> > Did the developers run the full build session just before the
>> > release ?
>>
>> No, but the problem seems intermittent. It doesn't show in my
>> system nor on others'. There are memory problems with valgrind, but
>> make check doesn't segfault for me.

> "No" - Jordi, as I stated on various occasions, Octave development
> model is _broken_.

Sorry, I mistyped. I meant, "yes". We did run the test suite. It just
didn't show this problem for us.

>> >  liboctave/Sparse.cc
>> ....................................panic: Segmentation
>> fault -- stopping myself...
>>
>> I suppose it's futile to ask you for a stack trace, right?
>>
> Regarding stack trace - I do not build Octave manually. If you tell
> me a "one button" solution, i.e. a sequence of command lines
> assuming that Octave tarball produced
>
> /home/qemu/AFSWD/build/octave-3.6.3/
>
> directory when unpacked (that's the location in my case), I can try.

If that's your source directory and you built in-source there should
be a "run-octave" script in it along with test/fntests.m. If so,
please do

    ./run-octave -g --norc --silent --no-history test/fntests.m

This will put you in a gdb session. Do "run" to run the test suite.
This will run slower than normal because it'll be running in a
debugger. When Octave crashes, you should be dumped back to gdb. Do
"bt" to get the stack trace.

This isn't exactly one-button, but it's about as simple as it gets.

TIA,
- Jordi G. H.