Re: Processing discontinuous series

From: Hernan
Subject: Re: Processing discontinuous series
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 04:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Francesco and Juan Pablo,
Thank you very much for your kindly help.
Greetings from Argentina.
Hernán

On 19 September 2012 05:09, Juan Pablo Carbajal [via Octave] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Hernan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Octave Users,
> I need your advice regarding the processing a long temporal data series with
> several gaps and/or changes in the sampling schedule (hourly and 3-hourly
> not regularly distributed meteorological data along 10 years).
> Is Octave the appropiate tool for such non regular series ?
> Considering that my programming skills are limited, should be better to use
> a worksheet instead of Octave (or R) ?
> Thank you very much in advance.
> Hernán
>

> --

Dear Hernan,

GNU Octave is the right tool to run analyses on numerical data,
however it always boils down to what exactly you want to do. For
example, calculating some average values, plotting, interpolation,
feature extraction, etc. are really easy task for GNU Octave.

I did some climate data analyses in the past (puf! back in 2005). I
was studying long range spatial structure for the oscillations
Niño-Niña. I used NetCDF files, neural networks and some other bunch
of stuff. Not everything is solved in GNU Octave (like an easy way of
overlying data on geographical maps) but there is plenty of things you
can do.

For your uneven sampled data you could interpolate, but of course it
depends on what you want to do. Try it out and lets us know how it
goes.

Good luck and welcome!

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal