Re: Octave and cargo cult programmingHello

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Octave and cargo cult programmingHello
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:27:49 -0400

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Thomas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
The example is in the documentation, under "Broadcasting and Legacy
Code". If you have code that relies on catching the mentioned error, you
can either change Octave's default behaviour or you can change your code -
but you cannot run previously working, _unchanged_ code with the
_default_ Octave behaviour.

And actually I don't think Sergei was wading through Octave's source
code to find something to criticise - I bet he has previously working
code that doesn't work anymore.

Seriously? That example is a completely synthetic tautology. I insist that anyone typing anything remotely similar to that example (let alone *rely* on it) should have their keyboard license revoked--even if broadcasting didn't exist! If destroying that type of code is a "strategic failure", I don't want to be on the right track. The only time issues with broadcasting come up is when developing new code or by sending invalid input. If there was any actual broken legacy code, it's time for specifics and evidence.

--judd