Re: Can't save a plot

From: Jorgen Sandberg
Subject: Re: Can't save a plot
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 19:27:23 +0100

Dear Ben,

Yes, the command:

system gswin64c.exe

runs ghostscript in the same prompt window as Octave.

Regards,
Jorgen

-----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:43 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Cc: address@hidden

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:28 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Cc: address@hidden

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:59 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Cc: address@hidden

Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:14 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Cc: address@hidden

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:35 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Cc: address@hidden

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:37 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Cc: address@hidden

On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:43 PM, Jorgen Sandberg wrote:

Dear Sirs,

I have installed OCTAVE 3.6.2 VS2010 on a Windows 7 machine. When i will save a plot using the print or saveas command, I get an error message saying that ghostscript is missing.

Instructions for installing ghostscript at on the wiki at the link below.

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows#Printing_.28installing_Ghostscript.29

In addition the package symbolic does not install.

How did you try to install the symbolic package?

Have you looked at using maxima for symbolic calculations?

http://maxima.sourceforge.net

Ben

Dear Ben Abbott,

Thanks a lot for your help. Unfortunately, I still have the problem.

I have downloaded Ghostscript 9.05 and installed it. I have added the path in the /.octaverc file as per the instruction for Octave with Visual studio, but OCTAVE still can't find ghostscript. I have looked into the ghostscript installation and in the bin file is gswin32.exe. Thus I guess Octave should be looking for gswin32.exe. Is that so?

I have Ghostscript 8.15 installed. Its binary is gswin32c.exe.

Assuming you have the gs_path environment variable set and have set the path in the Control Panel, you can tell the print command use use gswin32.exe instead by ...

print -dpdf test.pdf -Ggswin32.exe

If that fixes the problem for you, I can patch the sources to include "gswin32.exe" when Octave searches for Ghostscript.

I have also found a Ghostscript version 9.02 that is a tar.gz file like the other packages for Octave on Sourceforge. Should I download this and install it as a package in OCTAVE? Will that do the trick?

I am sorry to pass you these stupid problems. I am aware that OCTAVE is free so I should not complain. However, please understand that I want to spend my effort on using it in place of struggling with the installation. My wish is that you prepare a complete installation package for stupid users as I such that there is no need to install any other packages. Please....

On the symbolic package. I downloaded the package from the sourgeforge.net site for windows. The name of the package is octave-3.6.2-symbolic-1.1.0-vs2010-setup.exe. After having installed OCTAVE 3.6.2 I clicked on the package to activate its installation like I had done it for the other packages available on the same site. But the symbolic package came with the error message, while all the other packages installed without any error message.

I can't help with this. Hopefully someone familiar with the symbolic package on windows with help.

Ben

Dear Ben Abbott,

Sorry, but it does not work.

I have attached a screen snap and a copy of the octaverc file, where I have added the path information. It seems to me that OCTAVE is still looking for a file named ghostscript.

I would highly appreciate that you integrate ghostscript in the installation package for Windows 7, 64 bit. In that way it would work.

Regards,

Jorgen Sandberg
<Install Ghostscript.docx>

When you installed Ghostscript, what was the "Destination directory"?

DId you set "gs_path" to the "Destination directory" in ~\.octaverc?

Using the default destination directory for 32 bit Win7 the adds to include in ~/.octaverc are ...

cmd_path = getenv ("path");
gs_path = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\gs9.05';
if (isempty (strfind (cmd_path, gs_path)))
  setenv ('path', strcat (cmd_path, pathsep (), gs_path));
endi

Ben

Dear Ben Abbott,

Maybe this info can help clarifying the problem.

I have added to the octaverc file an fprintf of the path before and after the addition of the path to the gswin64. The print shows that the correct folder is added to the path.

To verify the path is indeed there I have entered at the command prompt of OCTAVE system("gswin64.exe") and ghostscript starts up. Thus it is in the path.

Why does it not start when I enter  print -dpdf -Ggswin64.exe test.pdf

Regards,
Jorgen Sandberg

You can see the ghostscript command used by Octave by adding -debug to your print stattement

print -debug -dpdf -Ggswin64.exe test.pdf

Please copy the result into your reply. Is the correct command being used?

Ben

Dear Ben,

No, I do not see the correct command. I have attached a screendump. I have also include the system command calling the gswin64.exe and as you can see it works, thus the path to the gswin64.exe is there.

Ok. The gswin64.exe is a GUI program. You'll need to tell print() to use the command line version (see section 4.2 at the link below).

http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/Install.htm#Install_Windows

Does the command below work for you (added the "c") ?

print -Ggswin64c.exe test.pdf

Ben

Dear Ben,

Unfortunately, no it does not help to change to gswin64c.exe. I have attached a new screendump and indeed the gswin64c outputs to the same window as used by Octave.

Ok. Let's back up and check a few things. Does the command below run Ghostscript ?

system gswin64c.exe

If not, what does the following return.

getenv path

If you see 'C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\gs9.05\' in the path, what does the command below return ?

dir 'C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\gs9.05\'

Ben