Problem with installation of Octave 3.6.2 MinGW

From: Dan Rowe
Subject: Problem with installation of Octave 3.6.2 MinGW
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 03:54:03 -0500

Hello Help-Octave,

I am presently in the process of installing Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2_20120609.7z.
My computer is equipped with windows 7 and Intel Celeron processor..
Following instruction on the Octave-Force site, I created the
directory folder unzipped the file using 7zip to C: drive  I copied
the shortcuts folders to my documents folder as instructed.  My
problem is with editing properties in shortcut folders.  In the Octave
3.6.2_gcc4.6.2 folder, I edited properties and set the target to
<Install Dir>\bin\octave.exe.  In Start in, I entered <Install
dir>\share\octave\3.6.2\imagelib\octave-logo.icoasanicon (not sure if
this logo.icoasanicon entry is correct!}

In the Octave 3.6.2_gcc4.6.2 doc Ink, properties was also edited and
target was set to <Install dir>\doc\octave.  In Start in I entered
<Install dir>\share\octave\3.6.2\imagelib\octave-logo.icoasanicon
(again not sure if this last part is correct!).

The result has been folder
C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\bin\octave.exe  is not valid.  Make
sure tha the folder exist and that the path is correct.  This was also
the response provided after the imputs in the Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2 doc
lnk were completed.

Completely frustrated, I have also tried switching the imputs around
which resulted in the same warnings.  I really need help on this as I
have an important deadline to meet.

I have heard, as weel as read of great things about GNU Octave which
is why I have not given up on the installation.  The bottom line is
what am I doing wrong or not doing at all?  Are there better
instructions that will help with the installation process?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dan