AW: Very slow ploting with gnu plot (windows)

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: AW: Very slow ploting with gnu plot (windows)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:45:35 +0100

Dear all,

I want to draw your attention back to this topic. It is not about printing, it
is about the plotting speed. And: it seems as if the issue is caused by the
graphics toolkits, and probably NOT by octave itself...

What we see is that the speed by which a plot is displayed on screen is
severely slower with octave 3.6.2 MSVC compared to 3.2.4 mingw. It seems to be
related to gnuplot (and perhaps the communication with gnuplot?). FLTK response
is very fast compared to gnuplot.

A good test case showing the issue is to plot a 400 kSample noise signal by

plot(rand(400000,1))

In this case, the 3.2.4 mingw gnuplot is about 4 times faster with the display
on our environment...

By looking around I also found
http://ea.tl/2011/01/21/gnuplot-performance-on-windows/ saying that gnuplot is
about 5 times faster on cygwin ...

So, what did change in between 3.2.4 and is there any hope to get back with the
performance?

Actually, this issue is making colleagues ask for matlab instead of octave as
plotting got so slow with the new version. And as we still see some issue with
special characters as äöü and fonts for plotting (warnings) and printing with
fltk, as well as 'tex' mode rendering, so gnuplot is preferred here.

Thanks for any hint,

Rolf