Re: Create a GUI inside Octave

From: c.
Subject: Re: Create a GUI inside Octave
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:59:12 +0100

On 15 Jan 2013, at 03:11, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2013, at 7:14 AM, bomastudio wrote:
>
>> Hi all, reading somewhere in the www (I can't remember where...) someone
>> suggest to create a GUI in C++ and link it through an oct file (or a mex??).
>> First of all I don't know c++, so excuse me for wrong things I will write!!
>> I'm working to do this job: I created a GUI with WxFormBuilder, generating
>> two files: test1.cpp test1.h prova1.cpp prova1.h and tried to compile with
>> mkoctfile Of course I get lots of errors with lots of file *.h missing, so I
>> copy from the wx
>> sourceshttp://sourceforge.net/projects/wxwindows/files/2.8.12/wxGTK-2.8.12.tar.gz/download?use_mirror=ignum
>>  all files inside the /include/wx/ folder. But it doesn't work...... what am
>> I missing? THX
>
> I don't have any advice for you, but thought I'd mention that Octave's
> developers are currently working on a GUI for Octave.
>
>       http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Is_there_a_GUI_planned_for_Octave.3F
>
> There have been many prior attempts to write a GUI for Octave.  Most have
> been abandoned.  All have serious short comings.
>

> http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#What_about_all_the_Octave_GUIs_I_find_on_Google.3F
>
> If you're interested in cooperating on the development of Octave ....
>

> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines
>
> Ben

Ben,

I think the OP is not interested in a GUI for Octave but rather in
building a GUI for his own octave code.

If my understanding is correct he might be interested in trying out QtHandles:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/QtHandles-Qt-based-toolkit-with-uicontrol-uipanel-support-tp3887875.html

I have not tried it myself, though.
c.