Octave/GraphicsMagick cannot read TIF files

From: elektrochose
Subject: Octave/GraphicsMagick cannot read TIF files
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 04:25:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi!

So I'm working with some .tif files (medical images) in octave and get the
following error:

error: imread: invalid image file: Magick++ exception: Magick: Unable to
open file

>From what I understand Octave uses Graphicsmagick to handle images and such.
When I type gm -version in the terminal I get:

Feature Support:
TIFF                     no

But when I type convert -list format I get:

TIFF* rw+   Tagged Image File Format (LIBTIFF, Version 4.0.1)
TIFF64* rw-   Tagged Image File Format (64-bit) (LIBTIFF, Version 4.0.1)

By the way I installed and correctly configured Libtiff. So I'm aware that i
must recompile Graphicsmagick to include support for TIFF, and then
recompile Octave. I've googled for a while and have tried many options but I
just can't figure how to install Graphicsmagick to include support for TIFF!
I've looked into library paths and such during installation but I'm not an
expert on these things. Help!

I'm running Mac OSX 10.8.2, Octave 3.6.4 (compiled via Homebrew),
GraphicsMagick 1.3.17 Q32  (compiled via Homebrew), and LIBTIFF, Version
4.0.1.