Re: how to make a 3D surface

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: how to make a 3D surface
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:05:27 -0400

On 27 March 2013 13:53, thrmathe <address@hidden> wrote:
> let me explain better, the three file columns represent the three respective
> axes X, Y, Z and I want to do is generate the surface of said columns, not
> if I understand?

It's clear that you're describing a point cloud, but you don't seem to
be aware that a point cloud doesn't define a unique surface, and that
finding a "nice" surface to go through a point cloud is a difficult
problem in general.

If your point cloud has further structure, it can be exploited.
Otherwise, you first have to give it structure; griddata and delaunay
are two functions you can use to give your point cloud a structure so
you can create a surface out of it.

- Jordi G. H.