Re: Dilation operation on vector

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: Dilation operation on vector
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:17:11 +1100

Hello Petr,

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 01:43:21 +1100, PetrSt <address@hidden> wrote:

I'd tried to write something (attached file),

Nothing attached.

Based on the article I can advice you to check the image processing pkg (not sure by the name), where should be some filters.

I don't think the image processing approach is correct for the problem I described. If I recall correctly, those functions work on a 2D array, and apply the filter shape (or motif) in the plane of the image, whereas what I was describing is a 1D vector which requires the motif to be applied normal to the plane ( if it were an image).

Also there are some
functions you could find useful in  30 Geometry
<http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Geometry.html#Geometry>
, concerning the convex hull.

As described in the paper I referenced, the convex hull is an approach that can be used, but probably not other 3D geometry stuff.

The naive algorithm described in the paper is a simply coded method, and appears to work quite well. I have not yet satisfied myself that it produces the same result as would be obtained by doing the geometry by calculating all the points where the disc is tangent is to the segments of the profile, but suspect that any differences will be small.

I would also advice you to ask about your topic under different keywords
than dilation, like filtering or morphological filtering, which should attract people more involved

OK, but it really was a particular form of dilation that I wanted to know more about, which is, along with erosion, a morphological operation and would be in the vocabulary of those in-the-know. It's not really necessary any more, as the paper I subsequently found and referenced provided all the information that I was seeking.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
--
Regards,