Re: GSoc students and OctConf

From: Ankit Shah
Subject: Re: GSoc students and OctConf
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 13:37:48 +0530

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Ankit Shah <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yah thanks Juan for replying. I know what octave is and been using it from
> around six months as have opted for a course of Machine learning. My general
> use of octave is developing better algorithm for machine learning. So I
> would love to develop and optimize the inbuilt functions using new
> algorithms. Also am quite a bit interested in GUI development as it has
> always fascinated me. So what problems at beginner level should I start
> working on. I would love to receive suggestions for the same. some links for
> the directions to start would do I'll read them and contact back if I don't
> understand any stuff.
>

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Ankit Shah <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>> > Sorry if I interrupted into your discussion thread. I'm new to GSOC
>> > program
>> > and was introduced almost a week ago as to what it is and so failed to
>> > apply. I would love to contribute to the open source community of
>> > Octave. I
>> > know it's too late as the deadlines have already completed. But still
>> > I'd
>> > love to join you guys in contributing to the open source community. I'm
>> > know
>> > C, C++, and python. I'm ready to learn new stuffs required so as to
>> > start
>> > contributing. It would be nice if you would like to suggest me as to
>> > what i
>> > need to learn or read so as to get acquainted writing patches for the
>> > Octave
>> > project. Though I'm not GSOC student it would love to start contributing
>> > the open source so that I may have chance of getting selected in this
>> > program next year(as I would also not have any age barrier at that time
>> > coz
>> > I'm still 17).
>> >
>> > --Ankit Shah.

>> > --
>> > Ankit Shah
>>
>> Hi Ankit,

>> I think the first step is to get to know Octave itself. Do you already
>> use it? If not then find what woud you use Octave for and start
>> looking on the details of that field/area. The expertise you know for
>> different parts an be quite different, GUI development may need a
>> completely different set of skill than JIT compilation development
>> and/or Finite Element solver development.
>>
>> So, How would you use GNU Octave? I think that if you can answer that
>> question you would have answer most of your inquiries.
>>
>> Cheers
>

> --
> Ankit Shah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting#Top-posting

Olaf Till has been working on non-liner curve fitting. I think this
matches perfectly the skills of a machine learning connoisseur. Maybe
you can help developing the user interface for it using qthandles?
That is already quite a lot to learn and use.
Or you could just start building up a "machine-learning package" that
collects algorithms related to machine learning. There is a regress_gp
(Gaussian processes) in the statistics package. Of course
"machine-learning" is a big meta package, so maybe you prefer to start
with a smaller package like "gaussian processes" I have been porting
gpml for a while now and help would be welcomed.
http://wiki.octave.org/User:KaKiLa#Gaussian_Processes

but you can choose your area of machine learning you like the most...

Thank you Juan. I'll go for the second suggestion of yours for building a package of gaussian process and let if I'm stuck somewhere or if I don't get where to start after going through the wiki page as I'm quite new and have no idea of what language or platform that you use.

--
Ankit Shah