mkoctfile does not pass -Xlinker to the compiler

From: Andres Cimmarusti
Subject: mkoctfile does not pass -Xlinker to the compiler
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 01:02:40 -0400

Hi there,

I'm trying to make this work under octave:

http://algoholic.eu/matpy/

Essentially it allows you to call python within octave / matlab.
The author only mentions how to get it working with matlab (under Linux and Windows). Unfortunately getting it to run in Ubuntu 12.04 with Matlab 2012a ended up being a nightmare. I'm trying to see if octave, being better integrated with distros can avoid the problems that I had with Matlab.

The main problem I'm having with octave is that I need to use mkoctfile to process the file py.cpp by adding the -Xlinker and -export-dynamic flags to LDFLAGS.

This doesn't seem to work in octave at all. Mainly I have problems with Xlinker. I tried the following:

mkoctfile --mex -lpython2.7 -ldl "-Wl,-Xlinker,-export-dynamic" py.cpp

But I get this error:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -linker

I also tried using the setenv command as:
setenv('LDFLAGS','-Wl -z relro -Xlinker -export-dynamic')

or

setenv('LDFLAGS','-Wl,-z,relro,-Xlinker,-export-dynamic')

and then

mkoctfile --mex -lpython2.7 -ldl py.cpp

But neither of these really seem to work. The mkoctfile command works, but then I can't do anything with python within octave because I get this error:

ImportError: /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined symbol: PyExc_SystemError

Which is the one that is supposed to be fixed by passing Xlinker and export-dynamic to g++

I found this relevant info online: https://github.com/vlfeat/vlfeat/pull/19
Is that true? mkoctfile is completely unable to change LDFLAGS?

Thanks in advance

Andres Cimmarusti

PS: Please reply directly to my email, as I normally don't check the list so much