Re: Simultaneous "compact", "short e" and "output_precision(2)"

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Simultaneous "compact", "short e" and "output_precision(2)"
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:29:50 -0400

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:14:51 +0000, Paul wrote:
> If by combine you mean simultaneously having in effect compact format and
> short scientific notation, yes, that's what I was after.  The problem was
> that I couldn't get both *and* output_precision(2).  For some reason, the
> combinations I tried always had one or more of the above features someone
> turned off.
>
> Which leads me to the question...why is the order in your code effective in
> achieving all 3 features while my 2nd example did not?  The only difference
> is that the format statements are interchanged.  So I'm wondering if the
> format statement has certain undocumented behaviours, such as "short e"
> resetting (meaning unsetting) "compact".

Yes, I think that's exactly what's happening. I haven't looked into it
yet, but I suspect that "compact" is a toggle that is off by default,
and is also reset by any other format command.

Also, based on your first example, I don't think format can handle doing
two things at once, where I'm taking "short e" to be a single option.

Can you suggest wording, or even better a patch, to improve the
documentation of these commands in Octave?

--
mike