Cannot change gridlinestyle from solid gray. Tried 30+ Octave help webpa

From: rmt1
Subject: Cannot change gridlinestyle from solid gray. Tried 30+ Octave help webpages.
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:56:31 -0700 (PDT)

Project: creating a topological map using contourf.
Problem: When I use 'grid on' I get a grid of appropriate size that is solid
gray lines.

I am able to get lines of chosen width with
set(get(gcf,'children'), 'linewidth', .2)

I am not able to get chosen style with
octave:165> set((get(gcf,'children')),'gridlinestyle','--')
no matter if it's :, -, -., --

I also haven't been able to change gridline colors.

It has been solid gray lines no matter what change of settings I've made,
but I want black dotted lines.