Re: Open a file using default application

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Open a file using default application
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 11:45:44 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Miller-2 wrote
> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 09:21:56 -0700, vinukn wrote:
>> How can i open files using their default application? Example xlsx file
>> using
>> ms excel.
>
> Can rephrase and explain what this has to do with Octave? What does
> Octave have to do with launching external programs to open certain
> files?

I suppose the OP refers to the GUI's file browser, RMB-menu, "Open in
default aplication" (assuming he has OctaveÅ› development version).

Well, that functionality works at least on Windows: with Octave 3.7.6+,
using the file browser for surfing to some project dir, right-clicking an
.xls file there and selecting "Open in default application" indeed fires up
MS-Excel.

I don't know if he is on Linux, and if so how he has set it up. If I try a
similar thing there I get Dolphin (KDE's file browser).
Long time ago on Unix and Linux there used to be something with magic
numbers that worked to some extent; but I wouldn't know how file type
associations work these days; probably it is through the window manager's
file browser.
So, if on *nix I think Octave is not the problem w.r.t. the OP's question.

Philip