Re: Plot error CentOS-6.4-x86_64 Octave 3.6.4

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Plot error CentOS-6.4-x86_64 Octave 3.6.4
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 23:12:57 -0400

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 19:54:39 -0700, ianemy wrote:
> I'm currently in the process of testing a from scratch build of Octave 3.6.4
> and all of the prerequisite components on CentOs 6.4. I'm using a quad core
> i7 64 bit machine. The new build passes all of the internal checks for each
> library component including the Octave checks. When I run plotting examples
> from the manual as a quick regression test I get the following error.
>
> octave:24> x = -10:0.1:10;
> octave:25>      plot (x, sin (x));
> error: invalid use of script /home/XXXXX/matlab/line.m in index expression

This error tells you precisely that you have script in your path
called line.m that is being called by Octave as a function when it is
not a function file. What you need to do is either change your path so
this directory is not included or rename the file so it does not
override a built in Octave function also named line.

> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/local/share/octave/3.6.4/m/plot/private/__plt__.m at line 597,
> column 12

And this backtrace tells you where to look. If you look at line 597 of
the specified file, you'll see that it is indeed trying to call a
function named line.

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/b29b10fbb744/scripts/plot/private/__plt__.m#l597

> [...]
> I've dug through a lot the archive and code and I haven't found the error.
> The only bug I have found in the build has been related to lines not getting
> drawn properly. pie charts, contour plots, sombrero and peaks are working
> correctly.

Hopefully moving or renaming this script will make this remaining
problem go away as well.

HTH,

--
mike