Re: Octave 3.6.4 VS2010 and the C++ API

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.4 VS2010 and the C++ API
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:16:45 -0400

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Mike Puglia <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>
To: Mike Puglia <address@hidden>
Cc: oCTAVE <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:45 PM

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Mike Puglia <address@hidden> wrote:
The new OpenBLAS dll you sent fixes the problem.  Thanks again for all the help.

>I didn't check the performances of that new version. Did you noticed any degradation (or improvement)?

I did a quick check using the Octave2.m benchmarker.  The VS2010  OpenBLAS was about 20% slower (all in matrix calculations) than MINGW OpenBLAS, and about the same as VS2010 SSE3.

How does it perform compared to the previous OpenBLAS DLL, the one that is buggy?

For the record, I also compile OpenBLAS with MinGW, it's not possible to compile it with MSVC.

On a related note, I noticed earlier that the VS2010 build consumes 100% of a CPU when Octave is idle and nothing is in the workspace.  (I work on an old single core laptop most of the time, so hard not to notice.) The MINGW build consumes less than 1%.  Any idea what is happening there?

>This sounds like the readline bug when using input event hook. Are you using FLTK by any chance?

I'm using Gnuplot.  It has something to do with csrss.exe (a windows NT process I gather).  Octave and csrss.exe are each taking about 50% of the CPU at all times.

Ok, it's not what I was thinking about. I never experienced that before.

Michael.