Reverse Engineering was: Re: pdepe and pdeval

From: ghaverla
Subject: Reverse Engineering was: Re: pdepe and pdeval
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:52:51 -0700

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:17:36 -0500
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> I only know of one instance of this code for Octave, and there were
> copyright problems with it, because the code was based on Matlab, so
> we had to take it down.
>
> It doesn't seem like the functions are difficult to implement, but if
> you choose to do so, it's important that you do NOT consult Matlab
> code while writing them.

I would like more information/feedback on this.

Somebody in the geosciences wrote a matlab utility of marginal use to
me (for an application that has nothing to do with the geosciences) .
It is obvious they are in the geosciences, as the utility assumes km as
the distance measurement.  I got sidetracked by other things, but I
think my local files were more than 4 times as big as the original
matlab source.  And I am talking code, not comments.

If I do a global search and replace on variable names, the code is
still the same.  To me.  The core of the code is useful.  And anyone
reading a textbook in geophysics could probably produce similar code.
For me, things were missing.  So I am adding code, and trying to do so
in a way that I don't hard code "kilometers" into things.

What has to change, to break the copyright tie to this library of
matlab things, to make things unique?

Gord