Re: Calling Octave function from C or C++

From: c.
Subject: Re: Calling Octave function from C or C++
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 10:39:15 +0100

On 1 Jan 2014, at 01:09, Patrick Hinkle <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am working with Apple's Xcode development environment and have octave
> installed with it's enormous amount of headers and other files that I use to
> program successfully with Octave from the Terminal.
> The best tutorial that I have read is 'Da Coda Al Fine: Pushing Octave
> limits', here is the link.  This doc starts by writing an octave function and
> then calling it from a C++ file.
> My main obstacle at this time is how I should import the octave header files
> into Xcode to give my C++ program octave's functionality.  Many of the
> various programs that I have read including the one referenced above start
> with '#include <octave/oct.h> and all I have done is click and dragged files
> and folders of octave headers and implied functionally but, no surprisingly
> is not enough.  When I build the project it will say about my first line that
> says '#include <octave/oct.h) that there is "no file found in the directory.'
> What do I have to do to make the Xcode build process acknowledge my rich set
> of octave files that would allow me to include octave functions and commands
> in a C++ program following the techniques of chapter 1 of 'Da Coda Al Fine:
> Pushing Octave Limits'?

There are more up-to-date examples about using the Octave C++ API with respect
to 'Da Coda Al Fine: Pushing Octave limits', for example in this presentation:

  http://wiki.octave.org/wiki/images/b/b0/Slides_octconf_gdf_jgh.pdf

I am also linking C++ applications to Octave on OSX, but I am using the
standard GNU toolchain to accomplish this rather than XCode projects.

AFAIK there are no Octave developers who are experienced in using XCode, so I'm
afraid you won't get much help in setting this thing up but,
if you eventually manage to get it working, we would very much appreaciate you
reporting back to share your experience, possibly documenting
your steps on a wiki page...

Best wishes,
c.