Re: Octave 3.8.0 Released

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.0 Released
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:38:13 -0500

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:27:47 +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 13 January 2014 15:11, lelouch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > it would be great if you update octave to the last version.
> > --
> > This message was sent from Launchpad by
> > lelouch (https://launchpad.net/~lelouchy)
> > using the "Contact this team's admins" link on the GNU Octave team page
> > (https://launchpad.net/~octave).
> > For more information see
> > https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople
>

> Hi lelouchy
>
> Octave 3.8.0 is now on the Debian experimental repositories[1] so it
> should be only a matter of time until someone who needs prepares it
> (I'm CC'ing the person who prepared the 3.6.X versions in case he's
> still interested).

I did reply off-list to this request the other day, but this reply is
much more detailed.

I am currently helping to bring 3.8.0 to Ubuntu by working on the Debian
packaging. Once it is packaged in Debian and users can properly upgrade,
including any installed Forge packages, then it will drop into Ubuntu.

Yes I do plan on updating ppa:octave/stable to 3.8.0 based on the Debian
packaging. However, the packaging is still experimental at this point
and may yet have some unencountered problems. I would prefer to spend my
time helping to test and get the Debian packaging ready. This helps more
users of both Debian and Ubuntu. Once 3.8.0 is available from the Ubuntu
archive in 14.04 or 14.10, then I will be happy to update the PPA.

My original intention in providing packages to this PPA was to backport
the current stable version of Octave to earlier releases of Ubuntu,
specifically for those users who wanted to stay with an earlier LTS
release. Consequently, I do not think it is appropriate to update it at
this point with a version that is not yet in the official Debian or
Ubuntu repositories.

HTH,

--
mike