Re: install not finding lapack (3.6.4)

From: lascott
Subject: Re: install not finding lapack (3.6.4)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:47:23 -0800 (PST)

Sergei thanks for the suggestion.

I built a script to grab all dependencies and built blas/lapack/atlas/octave
for mint but with the intent of being useful for mint/ubuntu/debian and
possibly RHEL/SL/CentOS

It also sets flags for gcc, intel and Intel MKL thanks to clues from
kkaneko.com <http://www.kkaneko.com/rinkou/octave/octavelinux.html>

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4661441/ScreenshotBuildATLAS.png>

I lose the battle under Mint as lapack cannot find cheev.

I learned using the script that 3.8 builds with march=native but cannot
build unless you disable the gui, so the script is pretty general as to
versions, general setup.  It will allow me to try builds accross OSs and
versions in VMs which should be helpful to others.

I next went to SL6.5 to try my hand at building.
*This thread was helpful:*
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-3-6-x-packages-for-RHEL-6-2-td4629868.html

octave-forge is no longer available under SL6
The contents of epel 6:
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/repoview/letter_o.group.html
the current epel rpm builds version 3.4.3
more info at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

Julien Salort notes that his script builds but the binary fails with "not
having IEEE-floats"
I believe you need to specify -mieee-fp to the compiler flag list across the
blas/lapack/atlas/octave list

Sergio notes his AppsFromScratch will build any number of applications from
source.  I would appreciate trying if possible.

My goal is to not throw away all my work, I am close to getting mint to go,
and altering the rpm by rocketdude (see below) to add any version of octave
and adding in ATLAS seems the way to go under SL6/CentOS/RHEL.

yum install octave failed for me.
info.morrisette.org/index.php?page=octave  notes that adding a reinstall of
hdf5.
together with adding symbolic links where needed.
yum install hdf5
cd /lib
ln -s /usr/lib/mpich2/lib/libhdf5.so.6
and to /lib64

*A second helpful thread is this under octave-maintainers:*
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/binary-RPMs-of-Octave-stable-for-enterprise-Linux-systems-td4631881.html
Tom the rocketdude, supplies an rpm for octave under CentOS, it seems easy
to convert to SL6/RHEL.
I lack experience with rpms to know how to alter the files list when you
alter the version to use, this concern applies too to the addition of ALTLAS
to the build.  Tom, if you see this, guidance most welcomed.

Once I get it to work, I can incorporate to my scripts as well.

Happy to make the scripts available once I get it working. I can post it
here if that is appropriate.  Kindly let me know.

p.s.
I use the latest Mint 16, I cannot tell if this is normal in config.log
## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = Neruda
uname -m = x86_64
uname -r = 3.11.0-12-generic
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X     = unknown

/bin/arch              = unknown
/usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown