Re: showtrainprogress: invalid conversion from NaN to logical

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: showtrainprogress: invalid conversion from NaN to logical
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:24:27 -0800 (PST)

syed khalid wrote
> [...]
> error:   /home/syedk/OCT/nnet/tests/MLP/mlp9_1_1_tansig.m at line 99,
> column 6
>

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:14 AM, syed khalid <

> syedk@

> > wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am running Octave 3.8 and running into this error when I run my
>> scripts.
>> I am attaching the offending programs. Any help would be appreciated.
>>

>> error: showtrainprogress: invalid conversion from NaN to logical
>> error: called from:
>> error:   /home/syedk/OCT/nnet/tests/
>> MLP/__trainlm.m at line 304, column 5
>> error:   /home/syedk/OCT/nnet/tests/MLP/__trainlm.m at line 146, column 5
>> error:   /home/syedk/OCT/nnet/tests/MLP/train.m at line 125, column 11
>> error:   /home/syedk/OCT/nnet/tests/MLP/mlp9_1_1_tansig.m at line 99,

You can safely assume that Octave doesn't complain about the if statement in
L. 304 for nothing. So the question is how to find out what is wrong there.

Well, insert a keyboard statement in empty line 302 and run your code.
The code will stop at the keyboard statement in a debug prompt and you can
inspect the values of the three logical clauses making up your if statement.
At least one of them must be wrong.
Once you know those values you can start reconstructing how they were
assigned that value.

Looking cursory at L.304 and the error message I have a gut feeling that it
is the rem() call (the result of which is being converted to logical through
the ! exclamation mark) that has problems, e.g., operand iEpoch not being
finite.
But sorry, you'll have to debug this yourself I'm afraid.

Philip