Re: line 0: invalid command

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: line 0: invalid command
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 20:51:58 -0800

On 02/01/2014 10:49 AM, mlr31 wrote:
Hello,

I got often very similar errors when executing octave on a Linux server with
a remote display based on a X11 server under Windows 7.

When both computers are on the same LAN (100 Mbit/s Ethernet), I never see
any error.

When doing the same plots with the windows PC at home connected to the
server via a VPN over an ADSL link, most of the plots are producing errors
like this one (IM is a 120x682 matrix):

octave:2> surf(IM);
octave:3>
gnuplot>  nset view;
               ^ line 0: invalid command

If I generate a PNG file instead of a display, it works. This is really
linked to the use of the X11 display.

I don't think that this is a problem on the octave side because I have
similar errors and strange behaviours using gnuplot scripts written
manually. The scripts generate correct display on the LAN and fail or
generate garbage display over the VPN.

I am using octave 3.6.4 (compiled from sources) and gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 6
(Fedora 13 standard package).

Marc

I frequently see this kind of error running linux on a VMWare virtual machine on a Windows 7 host and less often on my native linux machines at home. I am sure it hasn't anything to do with X11, but somehow it seems that the interface with gnuplot is getting messed up. I think it only happens when I plot really large data sets (like 100000 points) but haven't really tried to isolate it.

Bob