Re: Optimizing the expint function

From: Nicanor García
Subject: Re: Optimizing the expint function
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:31:00 -0500

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I'm currently working with Octave 3.6.2 which is the one offered in the Debian 7 repositories. I'll install 3.8 as soon as I have some time, meanwhile, I already did the processing I needed for this week.

I'll try to repeat the test and put some results tomorrow, but I was getting times of around 6 seconds per speech frame (640 samples) in Octave and 0.0007 seconds in MATLAB in the same conditions (got those timings with the tic and toc functions).

Nicanor.

2014-02-05 Mike Miller <address@hidden>:
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 06:03:05 -0500, Nicanor García wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was testing some Speech Enhancement algorithms, one of which used the
> expint (exponential integral) function and I noticed this function takes
> ages to compute.
>
> I then tried the same algorithm in MATLAB in the same machine and noticed
> that the same function takes around 1/10000th of the time it was taking in
> Octave to compute.
>
> Is there any way to optimize this function so it does work better in Octave?

Can you post some example data and timings that you are seeing from
the expint function in both Octave and Matlab?

Are you using the expint function in Octave 3.8.0? It has been
improved from the version that used to be part of the specfun Forge
package.

--
mike