Re: OsX Mavericks GSL install error

From: seub4604
Subject: Re: OsX Mavericks GSL install error
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:12:34 -0800 (PST)

>>GSL is the Gnu Scientific Library, which you should install from GNU's
>>sources or otherwise. Octave-GSL package is basically an interface to GSL,
>>and you can try installing it using "pkg install" in Octave once you have
>>GSL.

I'm not fully sure I understand still. So, what I've done is go to the GSL
website, downloaded gsl-1.16.tar.gz, and in Octave typed:
>>pkg install gsl-1.16.tar.gz
this has given me the error message:
>>package is missing file: DESCRIPTION
error: called from 'verify_directory' in file
/usr/local/octave/3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/private/verify_directory.mnear
line 30, column 7
error: called from:
error:   /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/private/install.m
at line 146, column 5
error:   /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 394,
column 9

Carne seemed to be saying that gsl-1.16.tar.gz is not the actual package for
GSL.  I'm really not terribly great with computers and and relatively new to
Octave, so it will help me quite a bit if we could try to keep the technical
terms at a minimum if possible. :)